Do you invest? Are you like many that have no idea where to begin? Do you spend all or even more than you have?
You might be wondering if I decided to broaden the scope of what I blog about. Not really. I do though enjoy investing and learning about investment strategies.
I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey’s approach to handling money. If you are not familiar with Dave Ramsey, his approach is to get debt-free and have a good emergency fund before considering investments.
Danielle and I loosely followed his plan to the point that we are now completely debt-free including our mortgage. This frees us up to do much more with our money, including investing.
So if I have not begun a new topic for blogging, what does investing have to do with missional lifestyle?
How we handle our money shows where our treasure is.
If we spend all of our money on ourselves, how missional is our lifestyle? We need to have extra funds so that we can:
- Respond to the needs of others when they arise.
- Have freedom to go where and when He sends us.
- Have the ability to help others go.
And one more—Invest in Kingdom Projects.
What is that you asked? Any investor looks for a positive return on investment or ROI. I look for stocks that have the potential to grow or other investments that will eventually give me a higher return than simply putting the money in a money market or CD.
But what about investing in things that bring a spiritual return on our investment? I call that Kingdom investment.
I urge you to consider this mindset for these reasons:
- You can’t take it with you. This is true whether you believe in an after-life or not. Unless you are into an ancient Egyptian worldview. Why not invest in things that will out-live you and can change another person’s destiny?
- God owns it all anyway. I know that not all of you agree with me on that one. But, He does. He created it. He owns it. My thinking is that one of the best investments I can make is in whatever He is doing. I want to step into that river.
- Store up Treasure in Heaven. I don’t believe in karma. But I do believe that God stores up treasure or reward for us in heaven. I call that a Kingdom Mentality. Life here on earth is a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. What I do here with my money has an effect on that eternity. Not just mine, but others too.
Examples of Kingdom Investment
Help support a domestic or international missionary.
Help send people on short-term mission trips, especially those who are going for the first time.
Invest in projects that rescue the vulnerable, such as, children shelters or orphanages, those trapped in sex trafficking, or in poverty.
Look for projects that provide God’s Word to those who have never heard it in their native language.
Invest in projects that have the potential to become church planting movements.
There are many good opportunities to invest in. However, just like any financial investment, it is wise to do your homework.
What are some other worthy Kingdom investment opportunities?