God’s presence honestly perplexes me. I both want His presence and am afraid of it at the same time.
How God handles His presence reflects His complex nature. On one hand He presides in a Holy and lofty place. On the other hand He resides with the lowly and contrite in spirit.
Our mishandling of God’s presence can incinerate us yet we also can’t escape His presence. Wherever I flee, He is there.
God is set apart from us yet He resides within us if we allow Him.
A big word that describes God’s presence is Omnipresent meaning that God is always present without any exception. As I said, we can’t escape His presence. For some this creates intense discomfort. But for those who embrace His omnipresence it brings many promises.
These are 15 promises that manifest with God’s presence.
- Revival – “For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: ‘I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and revive the heart of the contrite.'” Isaiah 57:15.
- Rest – “And He said, ‘My presence with go with you, and I will give you rest.'” Exodus 33:14
- Joy – “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy.” Ps. 16:11
- Discovery – “You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” Jer 29:13
- Love perfected – “No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and His love is perfected in us.” 1 John 4:12
- Comfort – “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Ps 23:4
- Cleansing – “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me.” Ps 51:10-11
- Refreshing – “Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus” Acts 3:19
- Companionship – “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, ‘I will never leave you or forsake you.’ So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'” Hebrews 13:5-6
- Confidence – “But thus says the Lord, He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel: ‘Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.'” Isaiah 43:1-2
- Counsel – “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13
- Peace – “For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, by my steadfast love shall not depart from your, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you.” Isaiah 54:10
- His Attention – “Thus says the Lord: ‘Heaven and earth is my footstool; what is the house that you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest? All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the Lord. But this is one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.'” Isaiah 66:1-2
- Strength – “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength.” Isaiah 40:28-31
- Indwelling – “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16
As I meditate on these scriptures about God’s presence and the promises associated with His presence, I resolve to be counted as one who embraces His presence. May I never take it for granted nor run from it.
Get Your Free Copy!
No one enjoys going through the motions each day. Find out what your mission is in life! Get your free copy of 21 Ways To Discover Your Mission In Life.