If you have been following me for very long or know us personally, you know that 2016 has been a busy year for us. We bought a new home last December and moved into it in January. I was still rehabbing from my ankle surgery. Danielle had “minor” surgery in May. I began working on my new book—Foster and Adoptive Parenting: Authentic Stories that Will Inspire and Encourage Parenting with Connection, and our son began Kindergarten.
Needless to say our year sped by in a blur. But I know it’s important for me to take some time and look back over this past year to see what worked and what didn’t. One easy thing for me to do is find out what blog posts did well.
The nerd in me comes out as I enjoy looking at these stats. I usually can gleam a few things by doing this simple exercise.
- I notice which categories or topics got the most interest.
- I try to determine what made each blog popular. The title? The subject? The content?
- I consider if I can use the content in another form so that more can benefit from it.
So here they are…the Top 10 Blog Posts from 2016:
- 7 Things Your Foster or Adopted Child Needs to Hear from You. (3/29/16) This post caused so much traffic that it kept shutting down my site! As a blogger I never really know what will get picked up and shared.
- 9 Warning Signs that Toxic Shame Is Preventing a Life of Freedom (8/4/14) Many find this blog from searching the term “toxic shame”. Notice that number 7 is also about shame. After I complete a couple of writing projects the first part of 2017, I will continue my work on my book about shame.
- 10 Things You Are Not Supposed to Say to a Foster Parent (11/22/13) Even though I posted this blog three years ago, it still gets a lot of hits. My takeaway is that it’s the title that drives traffic to it.
- What I Learned from Dr Karyn Purvis about Caring for At-Risk Children (2/27/15) If you are familiar with trauma informed care then you know who Dr. Karyn Purvis is. Sadly, she passed away earlier this year after a lengthy battle with cancer. I dedicated my new book to her since it is written based on many of the principles she taught.
- Three Principles of Trust Based Relational Intervention (7/1/14) These are the main principles taught by experts like Dr. Karyn Purvis.
- How Many Times on Average Does a Foster Child Move? (7/14/15) Do you know how many times on average a foster child moves? That is moves from one family to another?
- 15 Ways We Shame Our Children (7/18/16) I had more than one person ask me to expound on this blog.
- Am I Contributing to My Child’s Trauma? (3/8/16) Often the way we respond or react to our children reinforces the trauma that they have already experienced as a foster or adopted child.
- My Thoughts on the 2016 Presidential Election (11/8/16) From time to time I post a blog about a current event. I am not surprised that this blog about the election this year created some interest.
- The Importance of Parental Self Care: An Interview with Robyn Gobbel [Podcast 007] (12/2/2016) Yes! I launched a podcast this year. The introduction episode launched on October 14.
You probably noticed a couple of trends:
- One is that five out of the 10 posts are from pre-2016.
- Most of the posts are adoption/foster care related. Part of that is because that became a focus of mine in 2016 as I wrote my book about foster and adoptive parenting.
I hope you take a minute and read the posts that you haven’t read yet…and if you want to send a little love my way…share the ones you like with your network of friends. That’s the best gift you can give a blogger!
Most of all, I want to say a big thank you for reading, sharing, and dialoguing this past year. I hope that something that I shared with you encouraged you to live a life on mission this year. Remember, somewhere someone in need needs you.
Oh yeah…about my new podcast…you can easily give it some great publicity in iTunes. Simply follow the link below and click where it says Ratings and Reviews. Then leave a review. That is the best present you can give this new podcaster!
Get Your Free Copy!
No one enjoys going through the motions each day. Find out what your mission is in life! Get your free copy of 21 Ways To Discover Your Mission In Life.