How God? How exactly are you going to do it? How can you use me? How are you going to fix this? Mankind has been asking these kinds of questions of God for a long time.
Trouble with the How questions is that it reveals a lack of faith and a need for control.
When we show faith, we trust God at His word—whether it is His written Word or the word He impresses on our heart. When He speaks to us and we respond, “How?”, do we reflect someone who follows Him? Do we demonstrate that He is our Lord who is all Powerful and all Knowing?
When I ask God how, I am really saying that I want some control in the matter. I want God to explain to me how He plans to fulfill His promises. Does He owe me an explanation? Do I deserve to know how He will do what He says He will do?
Want some examples of when we say, “How God”?
- God says, “I will provide”. Families and church or ministry leaders who say they trust that God will provide often respond by worrying, manipulating or borrowing money beyond their means.
- God says, “I will lead”. We reply with, “I need to know how you will lead. I need all the details before I can follow”. I see this a lot with mission teams. We find ourselves in a strange place with many unknowns. We feel uncertain because so many things are new to us. Instead of letting God lead, we demand an explanation for how things are going to work.
- God says, “I will deliver”. How will I know my deliverance is from You?
- God says, “I will heal”. How? Supernaturally or through doctors? Do you mean spiritual or physical healing?
- God says, “I will answer”. How will you send Your answer? In Your Word? Through a friend? In a sermon or a song? Will You write it on the sky?
- God says, “I will comfort”. How can I tell it’s You. Just how will Your comfort feel?
- God says, “I will redeem”. How can You save me or that person? I (He) am too far gone for redemption.
How, How, HOW!
We might not always use the word “how”, but we worry, manipulate, attempt to control and use many other tactics that ask the question, “How God”?
So… does God need our help?
What if I learned how to say, “Yes God”?
God says, “I will provide, lead, deliver, etc.”, and I will say, “Yes God”. You say you will provide so I will trust you and steward well what you give me.
You say you will lead me, my family, our team, our church. And I will say, “Yes God”. I will trust you and live with anticipation.
God says, “I will answer”. I will trust you by waiting on you. You say you will comfort. I will answer by resting in you.
When I say, “Yes God”, my eyes are on Him instead of on myself or my problem.
What could happen in your life if you said, “Yes God”?
Get Your Free Copy!
No one enjoys going through the motions each day. Find out what your mission is in life! Get your free copy of 21 Ways To Discover Your Mission In Life.