Really! Until now, I have not had a Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or any other kind of social media account. Most of you probably are wondering how I have survived. No, I do not think that the world is flat!
I do feel that there has been a whole other world or reality out there existing on the outer senses of my awareness. I heard others talk about this world. I caught glimpses of it from time to time. But, I had not experienced it firsthand.
So, why am I just now entering this world?
First, I have a few reasons why I have intentionally avoided social media until now.
- I tend to be OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for those of you who despise acronyms. I have proven that I can slip into an unhealthy pattern of checking something over and over and over. I may miss something! I am not pointing any fingers.
- I want to protect my marriage – My wife and I have been married nearly 25 years. I have not always been trustworthy. Since becoming a real man, I place a higher value on my wife feeling secure in our relationship than me being “connected” in the digital world.
- I prefer face to face conversations – I want to really know a person. I prefer to look a person in their eyes when they are talking to me. And, let them see into my eyes. I really do believe that the eyes are the windows to the soul.
Those are a few reasons why I have not been linked in, friended, tweeted, pinned or liked in the digital world until now.
The question remains – why now?
Here are a few reasons why:
- I want to intentionally communicate my passions. Most people understand and enjoy how social media is a great way to connect with family and friends. Many though fail to understand how powerful a tool it is to communicate your passions. Whether a person is aware of it or not, when they post, tweet or pin something, they are letting the world know who they are and what is important to them. Most do not put much thought into what they are saying and who is listening. We have all heard how employers today google a potential employee to find out who they are.
- I am looking for like-minded people. Social media provides a stage from which I can connect with people who want to hear what I have to say.
- I can let others know what projects I am working on. Marketing is a dirty word to some people. However, social media is present day way of word of mouth marketing. As I work on my book, I can let others know what it is about. Social media can create anticipation.
So, I am wading into this digital world with purpose. Sure, I am enjoying reconnecting with friends from all over the world. But, I am purposeful in what I am saying and posting. And, I am asking close friends to hold me accountable with my usage of social media.
I still prefer to sit down with you for a cup of coffee or a bite to eat than to post on your wall. I hope you will not mind.
Question – Why do you use social media?
Get Your Free Copy!
No one enjoys going through the motions each day. Find out what your mission is in life! Get your free copy of 21 Ways To Discover Your Mission In Life.